B.VSc. MANZCVS (Medicine of Cats)
Dr Lauren Poulsom is our newest team member at Pet Behaviour Vet. She has helped us expand our house call services to clients between the Central Coast and Newcastle. Dr Lauren offers house calls and phone consultations every Thursday.
Qualifications and Experience
Dr Lauren graduated from the University of Sydney in 2013 with a Bachelor of Veterinary Science, and is a registered veterinarian with the Veterinary Practitioners Board of NSW. Upon graduation, Dr Lauren moved to the Central Coast of NSW where she has been working as a small animal veterinarian ever since.
In 2019, Dr Lauren achieved her Memberships (by examination) with the Feline Chapter of the ANZCVS (Australian and New Zealand College of Veterinary Scientists). You could say that she is our resident cat expert!
During her studies she discovered a love for feline behaviour and it opened a pathway for more behaviour-focused training. In 2020, she undertook and completed a year-long distance education course in Veterinary Behavioural Medicine which covered all species of animals, and she then realised that her love of behaviour was not just cat-related! She is currently studying to become a Member (by examination) of the Behaviour Chapter of the Australian and New Zealand College of Veterinary Scientists in 2021.
Some recent behaviour courses she has attended include:
- Centre for Veterinary Education’s year-long distance education course in Veterinary Behavioural Medicine
- Centre for Veterinary Education’s month-long Time-Online course in Feline Behaviour
- Feliway online Cat Handling Program
- ‘Kitten Kindy’ seminar by Dr Kersti Seksel
- ‘Integrating Behavioural Medicine into First Opinion Practice’ seminar through the Centre for Veterinary Education
- ‘Update on Drugs used in Behavioural Medicine’ seminar through the Centre for Veterinary Education
Dr Lauren also works as a GP veterinarian in a low-stress handling certified clinic where she has also been helping dogs and cats with their behavioural concerns. She is very excited to become a new member of the team at Pet Behaviour Vet and be able to offer high quality in-home consultations for the people of the Central Coast and Newcastle.
In her spare time Dr Lauren enjoys travelling with her husband, bushwalking, and spending time at home with a good movie and her three cats Maggie, Ernie and Tom.