Dominance Theory (Debunked)
- Welfare in Dog Training– Learn why the once-popular Dominance Theory has fallen out of favour and why you should be weary of any technique that requires you to ‘dominate’ your pet.
Dangerous dogs and Restricted breeds (BSL)
- RSPCA position statement on Breed-Specific Legislation
- Dangerous Dogs- A Sensible solution– the Australian Veterinary Association’s policy on dangerous dog and restricted breed legislation
What is a Veterinary Behaviourist?
General behaviour and training resources
- Dr Sophia Yin– Veterinarian, Animal Behaviourist, author
- Patricia McConnell– Certified Applied Animal Behaviourist, author
- Kikopup Emily Larlham- Dogmantics Dog Training
- Dr Sophia Yin Veterinarian and Animal Behaviourist
- Urban Dog Training
Environmental Enrichment (toys, games etc)
- Pets Need a Life Too– An online shop owned by veterinary nurse with an interest in environmental enrichment, Gillian Shippen. Email Gillian with details of your pet’s situation and personality, and she will help you to choose which enrichment device would be most appropriate.
- Kong 101– One of the most well-known food dispensing toys out there- the humble Kong. Read tips on how to make the most of your Kong, including great stuffing ideas.
Training specific behaviours
Crate, mat or confinement training
- Crate training– Robin Kovary- American Dog Trainers Network
Specific behaviour problems
Fear, Anxiety and Shy dogs
- Fearful Dogs– Debbie Jacobs- Certified Professional Dog Trainer, author. A very useful website with loads of information on helping your fearful, anxious or shy dog
- If you have a fearful or anxious dog, you may find these Facebook support groups helpful:
- Managing your dog’s separation anxiety– by Aidan Bindoff- Karen Pryor Clicker Training. Explains the basics of separation anxiety and one method used to treat it (Calming ‘Yo-Yo’ exercise)
Support for Veterinarians
- Dr Joanna McLachlan has created and moderates a closed online discussion group for registered veterinarians from around the world to discuss anything related to behavioural medicine. Please contact us directly for details (as this is a closed group).
Please visit our Affiliates
www.yourvetonline.com are Australian registered Veterinarians who provide 24/7 vet advice online over Skype or Facebook Messenger. Get the advice you need for your pet without having to visit a clinic, or re-organise your schedule. You and your pet will love that you don’t need to leave home.